Monday, January 14, 2008

Nine dollars a pound?!?

In a continuing adjustment to my low budget lifestyle, I have learned that I can no longer afford to shop for groceries at Whole Foods. That is unfortunate, as I love their prepared meals, especially their Mediterranean Tuna Salad. Yes, tuna salad. As you all know, I have been undergoing a long term effort to change my eating habits in order to reduce my waist line (which is not dissipating as fast as my hair follicles, I’m afraid).

About 4 years ago, I decided that I would no longer ingest fast food. That decision was based on my ever expanding mid-riff and the documentary “Super Size Me” (I highly recommend watching it (check out the DVD special feature called “The Smoking Fry”)). I made the decision to start eating healthier, including some chicken and a lot of fish. I have nearly completely cut out red meat (a much easier choice than I thought it would be), and replaced it with primarily salmon. In that vein, I have embraced tuna salad as well, something I used to abhor.

I found myself buying a lot of tuna salad from Whole Foods, especially their Mediterranean Tuna Salad. Unfortunately, the $9.00 per pound price (no shit, $9.00 a pound!) is no longer within my reach. I swear to God, the last time I bought it, I paid just over $15.00 for 1.7 pounds. I therefore sent a list of the ingredients to my parents. They bought a small sample of the tuna salad, and mom got to work. The following is a recipe that nearly mimics the Whole Foods recipe. For those of you who like tuna salad, enjoy.

Mediterranean Tuna Salad

12 oz of solid (not chunk) white tuna
1 table spoon of onion (chopped)
1/8 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
1/2 jar Kalamata pitted olives (1/2 chopped 1/2 whole)
1/4 cup marinated artichoke hearts (chopped)
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 lemon (squirt juice in salad)
2 table spoons mayonnaise

Combine the ingredients, in order into a bowl.
Refrigerate.

As I decipher (who am I kidding, as my parents decipher!) more of the pre-prepared recipes from Whole Foods, I will post them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fancy Feast has some great chicken and fish recipes as well. Check them out. :)