Thursday, January 17, 2008

Reunion

This last weekend afforded me the opportunity to reconnect with an old high school/college friend, Carl Jackson. After school, Carl and I lost touch. Carl and I had

Copper Mountain (my pic)

been friends, and he even went so far as to be present during the wrecking of my first car (that’s a whole other story). Carl is also responsible for introducing me to my dear friend Lara Michel (formerly Lara Chimera). Lara and I became fast friends after Carl’s introduction. We spent a lot of time skipping classes and “heading up the hill” to enjoy the ski slopes, during my junior year in High School.

At the time, Lara drove a Sterling (http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?sterlingf.htm) that came with heated seats (a fairly big deal at the time (as far as I know, Lara never experienced any of the many difficulties that plagued the brand)). I myself wasn't allowed to drive, as my grades were not up to my parents (and most other parent's standards) to allow me to obtain my driver's license. We spent many hours, riding in relative luxury, to and from the various CO ski resorts (sometimes, we even allowed others to enjoy the comfort of the bum warming). During one trip, Lara and I passed a mutual friend of ours (also ditching school, although neither of us knew the other had come up with the same plan for the day), while scurrying up I-70 to take advantage of the new powder at Vail Resort (http://www.vailresorts.com/Corp/index.aspx)). The looks exchanged, as we passed him, were priceless. But alas, I digress.

My friends Lara & Josh (Lara’s husband) came to Denver for a visit last weekend. We met up with Carl, and spent the evening together at Wash Park Grill (http://www.washparkgrille.com/). Great conversation and many memories, some forgotten, ensued. It was great to see Carl for the first time in nearly 20 years, although I will admit it took me a second to recognize him at first. He has done well for himself and his family (3 kids!). We all had a great time. Carl and I will make plans to meet up again in the future.


[Carl Jackson, Lara Michel, and me]

[Carl and Lara]
The next day Lara, Josh, and myself went “up the hill” to visit with Aubrey Hall (another mutual friend of Lara, Carl, and mine from high school). Aubrey is a currently a fireman (engineer/medic) with Copper Mountain Fire Department (http://coppermtnfiredept.tripod.com/1-Design/fire/index2.htm), and he was more than happy to provide us with full tour of the Copper Mountain FD. He even went as far as to pull out CMFD Engine 813 (one of their 4x4 vehicles) for a back drop for pictures. Lara & Josh were thrilled (hell Josh was thrilled to be able to make and throw snow balls!) for the photo op.


[Aubrey, Lara, and Josh]
[Me, Lara, and Josh]

[Lara, Josh, and Aubrey in the driveway of CMFD]

After visiting with Aubrey, we started our long journey home. On the way we stopped off at Beau Jo’s (http://www.beaujos.com/), a long standing skiers tradition, for some authentic Colorado Pizza. Josh decided that the next time he comes to CO, he will ask Aubrey to accompany him in the Beau Jo’s “Challenge” (see below). God help them both.


"ANY TWO PEOPLE CAPABLE OF EATING THIS PIZZA, CRUST AND ALL IN ONE HOUR AND ONE SITTING, WILL BE GIVEN THE PIE FREE OF
CHARGE, AWARDED A $100.00 CASH PRIZE, AND 2 FREE BEAU JO’S T-SHIRTS.
The Pie…Our Grand Sicilian, 12-14 incredible pounds of our hamburger sausage combo
pizza. Our cooks begin with super-thick 16” crust, adding pounds of green peppers, onions,
mushrooms, pepperoni, sausage and hamburger. The entire pie is covered with cheese,
exquisitely baked, and served to you … The Challenge
".
I'm throwing up in my mouth a little bit just thinking about it.

After a long weekend, full of fun, Lara and Josh headed home to Austin, TX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin,_Texas). All in all, it was a great time.

No comments: