Thursday, May 8, 2008

Heading Toward the Finish Line...

There are only a few classes until the end of the semester, and the work load has been heavier than usual. All the professors have piled on the assignments in order to get us ready for the finals, which we are now engrossed in. I currently have an “A” in all of my classes, but the finals have me worried.

I turned in my final paper for English, and I’m hoping it’s an “A”, but I’ll be cool (although a little disappointed) with a high “B”. I worked harder on this paper than any of the rest combined. It was a position/argument paper, and I chose the topic of universal health care in the U.S. I found it amusing that most of the class, being of ages 18 to 20, chose to write about lowering the legal drinking age. I guess it’s about ones’ priorities at the time. We had one month to complete the assignment. I chose to start by focusing on the research aspect of the task. I poured through 27 web sites and 9 books. I also interviewed two people, a lobbyist for health care and a state representative, focusing on the same. I soon found myself mired down in a mountain of research material. During a conversation with a friend, who has a masters’ degree, I told her of my progress, and she accused me of trying to tackle a freshman English paper with a post graduate degree frame of mind. She provided some helpful advice, but I still felt the need for further consultation. I then talked to another friend, with a degree in history. She, as well, supplied me with several helpful tips. I then consulted my professor about how to best proceed, and she gave me many, very helpful, suggestions. Finally, I turned to my father, who has been an educator for his entire career. His insights pushed me toward the final, and polished, product. I will have to wait until a few weeks after the semester’s end before I find out my grade. There is still the final exam to get through, and my main concern for that is that spelling does count, and I will not have the benefit of “spell check” or a dictionary. For those of you who have read my blog postings, you will realize, that despite my best efforts, I can sometimes write like an eighth grader (hence my trepidation). I’ve been trying to reconcile the need to write like an adult and the desire to dumb down my writing style in order to not get dinged for spelling mistakes. That brings me to my math class.

I currently hold a grade of 100% in the class, but then we had our last chapter test, which I had been dreading. For those of you who remember fractions, and didn’t do so well with them, you can understand my fear of the subject matter. I took the test yesterday, and while I think I got a “B”, I will be very happy with a “C”. Coming up is the final exam. This covers everything we have learned over the semester. Those of us in the “old folks’ home” have decided to band together in order to prep for the final exam. It’s worth mentioning that two of the younger students had decided to join our group about a month ago, as they have “A” grades they wish to maintain as well. Our plan is to quiz each other until we think we’re ready. There are only eight of us that have an “A” grade, and there are only four of the other students that have a “B” grade. I only mention this because the class head count at the beginning of the semester was at 27. The current class constituency is at 15, give or take a few. My fellow “old folks” have been trying to convince me to forgo the summer version of Math 090 (the next step toward college algebra), and take it in the fall with the rest of them, and our professor (whom we all love). I’m currently leaning heavily toward sticking with my gang.

As for Psych 101, I am working on the final exam for the course. I am doing so with three other classmates. They have proven to be remarkable resources in completing the last test, and they are invaluable in this current endeavor. Our group consists of Krista: a 25 year old single mother working toward a teaching certificate, currently in her sophomore year, Eric: a 29 year old veteran of the Iraq war working toward a nursing degree as a freshman, and Dominique: a 35 year old former professional surfer and undeclared freshman. Despite the differences, we make an amazing team. On our last test, we all scored 100%, and we’re hoping our combined efforts produce the same results for our final exam. We have met twice so far, and another study group is planned before our tests are to be graded. Our last class of the term is this Thursday, and I’m going to miss the regular interaction of this group. As for myself, I’m planning on taking Prof. Nader’s Psych 102 class in the fall.

This will be the last update until finals are over. Once that has occurred, I will have more time to inform you as to my goings on, until the summer session begins. I would like to take this time to announce that my friends, Karl and Melissa have had their second child. For those of you interested, you will be able to learn more about the birth at http://melissaandkarl.blogspot.com/, once the blog is updated.


No comments: