I had my first math exam three weeks ago. Actually, there were two tests. The first was a state regulated test to see what I knew, and was timed to five minutes. I made it 75% the way through, before the professor said it was time to hand them forward. While taking the test, I started getting nervous, because I didn’t remember how to work all the problems. I recognized the layout of the equations, but I couldn’t recall how to go about solving all of them. He then handed out another test. While working on the second exam, I actually witnessed the professor grimace, and make an audible sound of displeasure, as he scored my results. After that I was thrown off my test taking game. I kept working, but now my palms were sweating, and I was having difficulty focusing. I was no longer considering my answers; rather I was worried about what my professor was thinking.After the second test was completed and turned in, I still couldn’t shake the feeling that I had completely bombed. The second test was supposed to be a comprehensive barometer of what the students had learned (if they had taken the class) from MATH 030, and what they already knew about MATH 060 (the class I’m currently enrolled in). I never learned what my results were from the state test, but the second exam came back with the following scores:
MATH 030: 9 out of 15 (7th grade math)
MATH 060: 5 out of 15 (8th grade math)
Not the greatest marks, to say the least. However, now that I’m four weeks into the semester, my quiz results are better than I ever expected. I’m actually re-learning (and God willing, retaining) this stuff. I can get through the homework with answers of 90% or better before I grade my work. I’ll find out how good I really am after the first course exam, next Wednesday (February 20th, 2008), when my homework and extra credit is officially graded. The next class is strictly for exam review, which is greatly appreciated by all the students. I really like my math professor, because he genuinely wants all of us to succeed. So much so, that he takes every step to make sure we understand what he’s trying to teach us.
Our professor, David O’Reilly, has been a great educator. He goes out of his way to give us every advantage. I think it is important to understand, that this is a remedial math class (as far as college is concerned). Prof. O’Reilly has even referred to it as such on one occasion. I don’t even get college credit for it, nor will I get college credit for MATH 090 (10th grade math), should I end up needing to take it.
The class is made up of students from all three schools on campus, education levels, and ages. There is a small group of us that have banded together, as we are all returning to school as adults. We have formed a little fraternity/sorority of sorts, and call ourselves “The old folks home”. Our group includes Ryan and Elizabeth.
Ryan is a 27 year old single father of one that dropped out of high school during his senior year, due to the fact that he was seriously injured in a car accident (suffering a frontal lobe injury that resulted in some brain impairment). If you were to meet Ryan, you would never know he suffers from any type of TBI (traumatic brain injury). He is allowed to use a calculator during all aspects of the class (including quizzes and exams) and for his homework, although he refuses to do so. He wants to “learn the regular way”, so he knows for sure that he “gets it”. After he was laid off from the mortgage industry, due to the recent national credit crunch (we found that we had that in common), he thought he better get some kind of a degree. He has aspirations of a business degree, although he doesn’t yet know how he wants to apply his educational choice. Ryan has been in school now, for the past year and a half, making up for not graduating with a high school diploma.
Elizabeth is a 33 year old, recently divorced, single mother of three. She is a full time student, holds down a 36 hour a week job, and is currently taking piloting lessons. Her aviation endeavor has always been a passion of hers and occupies four hours every week (two hours of class and two hours of in flight training). She gets help with her child rearing responsibilities from her parents and a few close friends. She made her decision to go back to school after her divorce was finalized. She is currently undecided as to what her major will be.
Well, that’s the update for now. I will be posting a blog about my recent caucus experience very soon. Please enjoy the following math related video.
No comments:
Post a Comment