Okay, classes start this Tuesday, the 22nd. I have purchased a spiffy new Swiss Army back pack, I have all the necessary school supplies (thanks to my mother (don’t get me started)), and my school ID allows my to ride the light rail for free (all the way from my place to Auraria campus). I will get a complete list of the books I need to buy upon attending the first of all my classes, as well as a syllabus for each class, I imagine. I have even mapped out the path to all of my classes, in their various buildings. All I have to do now is get my head wrapped around the idea of going back to school. I swear to God, I’m nearly shitting my pants!I’m sitting here, writing this, struggling to find the appropriate words to convey my emotional state. I’m not even sure that is possible. I’m excited and nervous, all at the same time. I look forward to doing well, and I hope like hell I will do well. It’s a little overwhelming. The reason: my prior scholastic history.
Imagine if you will, a handsome young man (with a 28 inch waist and a full head of hair) trapped in a system that could not, no would not, conform or bend to his extremely creative will. A young man, who tested for reading comprehension and vocabulary usage at a college junior level, while he was merely a junior in high school. A student who’s only true academic triumph, outside of the electives (drawing and photography to name a few) was American/Soviet Relations (now that should date me). I got a “B+” in the class that was dreaded by other peers, as it was considered one of the hardest classes in school! Everyone who knew me was flabbergasted. Of course I had listen to the diatribe that I had heard all too often, “You need to live up to your true potential”.
I eventually (and begrudgingly) entered the realm of higher education. I was far more interested in the social aspects of the college experience than focusing on academics. Let’s just say that I had a great time, even if my GPA didn’t reflect it. I must now thank my parents, for their patience (and funding) during that time.
This semester will be the proving ground for the next stage in my life. The next several months will hopefully, if all goes according to plan, point me in the right direction. My goal is to find the path I will travel. Will it be Radiology or something else all together?
People say that when you go back to school as an adult, you will perform much better, because you really “want it”. I believe that to be true, but only time and determination will tell.
5 comments:
good for you!!! good luck!!!!
You will do great! Don't worry. I know how you feel though. Been there, done that! A good thing, though, is now days there are a lot more non-traditional students like yourself than ever before so you won't be alone! I will be waiting to hear how your first week goes!
I love your blogs. You're such a great author and you will do marvelous in school. I wish you all the best and I know you'll live up to your potential...now is the time and you know you can do it. 2008 is going to be a great year for you. You're an amazing person and you really are like sunshine.
Good luck with EVERYTHING.
Mike- Have you ever thought of a career in Comedy? You are the funniest person in our family- besides me- HA!!
I know you can survive and succeed at Higher Learning. GOOD LUCK_ LOVE YOU
Hello my darling...you will do great. Don't be afraid...keep going to yoga.
I miss you.
Post a Comment