Tuesday, June 16, 2009

WTF?

I spent the later half of the day with my 13 year old godson Morgan a few weeks ago. As the afternoon went into evening, we decided to stop off at a restaurant to grab a bite. We were seated on the second story, open air, dining balcony. Do to the rain, even though the terrace was covered, we were the only people there. While enjoying an appetizer and pubescent conversation, mostly involving the phrase, “That’s what she said” (primarily spoken by Morgan), I was suddenly overwhelmed by a most curious and yet familiar odor. My head shot up, and I started sniffing about wildly. I recognized this smell on an almost sub-conscious level. Having partaken in a great deal of the “holy herb” in my early twenties, there was no mistaking what my nose had identified. Morgan, while wearing a perplexed expression, asked...


“What’s up?”


“Do you smell that?”


“Yes”


“Do you know what that is?”


“No”


“GOOD!”


After the staff started coming out of the woodwork, being led by their relentlessly sniffing noses, I finally decided to explain to Morgan what was up. ‘Up’ being the operative word. We were on the second floor! It was later determined that it must have been someone on the sidewalk who decided to enjoy a little THC while on their downtown stroll.


After our snack, we wondered down 16th Street Mall, heading toward the movie theater. We were on our way to see the new Star Trek movie (which is abso-fucking-lutely awesome!), and as we passed every alley, Morgan said, “I can smell it again!” To which I responded, “No, that’s not it.”


Then we walked past some street musicians, playing next to an alley way on the mall. Morgan declared, “Okay, that time I know I smelled it!” I leaned over, and quietly whispered, “Okay, that time you were right. Just keep going.”


No comments: