So I mentioned that I was really looking forward to the invite only VIP party on the third night of the DNC. Well, let me tell you why.My friend had received word that her mother, who was in possession of two tickets to a DNC soirée, wasn’t able to make it to Denver for the event. After she told me about this, she asked me if I would want to attend, in her mother’s stead. I calmly replied with, “Are you shitting me?!? Hell yes!!!” I’m not sure if she detected my excitement. The only detail we knew was that it was a cocktail party, and cameras would not be allowed. I thought this was a little odd, but figured it was no big deal.
On Wednesday, one week prior to the party, she sent me a text message, asking me to provide my social security number, driver’s license number, et cetera. It turns out that all this was because I needed to be credentialed in order to gain access to the party in question. This created a great deal of excitement for both of us, as my friend assumed such precautionary measures would only be taken if there were noteworthy people at the event.
My friend again told me that no cameras would be allowed at the party, but there would be a staff photographer. We talked about cell phones with cameras, and decided that, due to the security we had heard about for all these types of gatherings, that only one of us would bring a cell phone. Here's a few pics I managed to get before I had to give up my phone.


Upon arriving at the Ritz Carlton, we were immediately taken aback by the luxury that exuded from this place. I have been to the Ritz Carton at Bachelor Gulch (near Beaver Creek, CO), it was quite nice, and everything one would expect from a five star mountain resort, but this downtown Ritz had a totally different feel. When we entered the lobby, we were both overwhelmed by the feeling of importance and purpose (albeit, self inflated).
After my friend gave our names and tickets to the guy behind the podium, we had to wait for about 20 minutes. As it turns out, the person that took my credential information did not send that information to the guy at the door. Another person came down to make a phone call that would, eventually, allow my entrance.
After my friend gave our names and tickets to the guy behind the podium, we had to wait for about 20 minutes. As it turns out, the person that took my credential information did not send that information to the guy at the door. Another person came down to make a phone call that would, eventually, allow my entrance.
The ballroom was absolutely beautiful. Upon entering, we walked through a decorative pillared walkway that was draped (tent like) with a semi see through fabric. Alternating wall panels were covered in patriotic bunting. Elaborate (and very expensive looking) floral arrangements were on the tables, and the list goes on.
The staff, wearing waistcoat tuxedos and white gloves, made their way through the room, carrying silver platters laden with assorted appetizers and canapés, all of which were delicious. The drinks were equally attended to, although we took it easy on the beverages.
As it turns out, the event was to honor women who volunteer in local politics. This worked to our advantage, as my precinct captain was in attendance, as well my local elected representative. I mention this because I actually knew some people who we could talk to.
The staff, wearing waistcoat tuxedos and white gloves, made their way through the room, carrying silver platters laden with assorted appetizers and canapés, all of which were delicious. The drinks were equally attended to, although we took it easy on the beverages.
As it turns out, the event was to honor women who volunteer in local politics. This worked to our advantage, as my precinct captain was in attendance, as well my local elected representative. I mention this because I actually knew some people who we could talk to.
Susan Sarandon and Daryl Hannah both spoke briefly. We also saw Annette Bening and Alfrie Woodard. While we would have loved to meet any of them (I would have really liked to have met Alfrie Woodard), they didn’t really mingle and tended to hang out together. We took that as a nonverbal message that they didn’t want to be bothered, so we never made a move.
Sometime after 10:30 or so, my friend and I were in the middle of the ballroom, when she suddenly grabbed my arm. She said, “Oh my God! Look who just came in!” I followed her gaze and saw two women walking into the room. At first I didn’t realize who they were. Suddenly, my brain kicked into high gear and I realized who I was looking at: Jessica Alba and Jennifer Garner.
My friend, who tends to have no problems at any social gatherings, practically lunged toward the two famous women. She walked right up to Jennifer Garner, extended her hand, and said, “Hi. I love your work.” Mrs. Garner followed through with the greeting, and I rallied myself from petrified motionlessness and made my way toward the women.
After the introductions were over, they told us they had come from the DNC. I finally spoke up and commented that Bill Clinton was supposed to speak, and then asked how he did. It was at that point that the conversation broke into two parts: Myself and Jessica and then my friend and Jennifer (although there was some cross talk).
Jessica proceeded to tell me about the evening’s events at the DNC, as my friend continued her conversation with Jennifer. I will now paraphrase, based on what I remember of the exchange between myself and Jessica Alba:
Me: “Bill Clinton was supposed to speak. How was it?”
Jessica: “His speech was amazing! It was his best ever!”
Me: “How was Biden’s speech?”
Jessica: “He did really good too. His speech was fantastic! You should have been there.”
Me: “I tried, but wasn’t able to get in as a delegate. I started the process, but never made it past the county…”
Jennifer (jumping in): “Tell them about how Obama showed up.”
Me and my friend: “WHAT?!?”
Jessica: “Yes, Obama showed up! Nobody knew he was coming. He just walked out on stage after Joe Biden’s speech was over. The place went wild. It was SO cool!”
Both Jessica and Jennifer continued to describe Obama’s surprise appearance.
It was surreal, to have two Hollywood celebrities telling us about events that took place in our own city, only an hour before. And they were just as excited to tell us about what they had witnessed, as we were to hear about it.
Shortly after they told us about the DNC happenings, the conversation abruptly came to an end. As I saw it, we realized that the two of them and the two of us, save the DNC, had absolutely nothing in common. There was a brief moment of awkwardness, and then Jennifer said, “Well it was great meeting you both. You two have a great evening.” We responded in kind, and then we parted ways. After they had left us, I turned toward my friend, and asked her if she thought that they noticed that I had peed my pants a little. She hugged me and said that I did great. We spent the rest of the evening mingling and having great conversations with various people.
All in all, it was an amazing evening. Even though I wasn’t able to get into the actual DNC, this evening was the next best thing. It was an event that I will never forget.




No comments:
Post a Comment