With as much as I’ve written about it, you might think that all I have been up to lately is attending classes and doing homework. While that has taken up a lot of my time, I’ve been busy with other activities as well. I would like to talk about one of those interests here.As many of you know, I’ve been a huge fan of the new addition to the Denver Art Museum (http://www.denverartmuseum.org/home). The Frederic C. Hamilton Building (http://expansion.denverartmuseum.org/) is not only architecturally amazing, both inside and out, but the collection of art within is equally stunning. I’m particularly fond of the contemporary works (http://www.denverartmuseum.org/explore_art/collections/collectionTypeId--60).
Since the new addition to DAM (Denver Art Museum) opened a year ago last October, I had visited so often that I decided it was worth becoming a member. There have been some great exhibits that I have really enjoyed: (http://www.denverartmuseum.org/explore_art/temporaryExhibitionDetails/exhibitionId--112703/exhibitionType--Past, http://www.denverartmuseum.org/explore_art/temporaryExhibitionDetails/exhibitionId--112700/exhibitionType--Past, http://www.denverartmuseum.org/explore_art/temporaryExhibitionDetails/exhibitionId--103255/exhibitionType--Past, http://www.denverartmuseum.org/explore_art/temporaryExhibitionDetails/exhibitionId--103257/exhibitionType--Past, http://www.denverartmuseum.org/explore_art/temporaryExhibitionDetails/exhibitionId--103259/exhibitionType--Past). The exhibit about how the museum’s new addition was built was absolutely fascinating, as I was able to understand many more aspects of it due to my stint working for a general contractor (http://www.denverartmuseum.org/explore_art/temporaryExhibitionDetails/exhibitionId--103253/exhibitionType--Past). Most recently, Kristin and I enjoyed the Inpiring Impressionism exhibit (http://exhibits.denverartmuseum.org/impressionism/). My membership status afforded me an invitation to the annual meeting that took place last Tuesday, March 4th. The reception was at 5 p.m. and the meeting was set to start at 6 p.m.
The first thing I noticed when I walked through the doors, was that I was remarkably under dressed. I had come straight from school, and was appropriately attired for that (boots, jeans, a pull-over covered by a puffy vest, and a baseball cap). Nearly everyone at the reception was dressed professionally. I got more than a few looks, including those from the staff working the event. My pace slowed, as I began rapidly scanning the crowd looking for anyone who was similarly clothed. I’m sure the expression on my face gave away my thought of “Oh, shit.” A kindly staffer approached me, and asked if there was anything I needed. I told her that I was there for the annual meeting. She guided me to the table where members were to sign in. I did so, and made my way to the bar for a glass of wine.
While waiting in line for my libation, a very well dressed elderly couple behind me asked if I was a volunteer, I’m assuming based upon my appearance. I informed them that I was simply a student and a museum member. They told me that there was nothing simple about being either. They continued to say that they were proud that I was a member, and the museum needed more people like me. The conversation progressed, and I got to know a little bit about both Tom and Maurine. They live in my neighborhood, although in a MUCH nicer dwelling, and attended the same democratic caucus and convention as I did. We discussed our love of art and politics over the course of the next 45 minutes (all the while enjoying the assorted canapés, served by the business suit clad wait staff). The lobby lights were then dimmed twice in order to notify the crowd that the meeting was about to begin. The throng made its way to the lecture hall, located on the lower level.
Upon taking my seat toward the front of the hall, a middle aged woman was making her way to her desired seat to the left of me, and I had to stand in order to let her pass. We exchanged pleasantries as she sat down. She told me that she worked in the Conservation Department, and asked if I was a volunteer. I clearly looked totally out of place. I swear the invitation didn’t say anything about the correct attire. Anyway, we continued our conversation until the meeting began. I have to say that there is a certain respect that comes with being a student. Upon hearing that I hold that status, most people immediately change their tone. “Oh, you’re going back to school? That’s great! I wish I could do that. What are you studying?” I have to say that it’s pretty cool.
Over the course of several presentations, I learned that the new addition to the museum has only just recently (within the last week) begun its first rotation of the existing art works. The meeting also included several sneak peaks of upcoming touring exhibits, almost all of which (I’m not a big fan of quilts) I’m greatly looking forward to.
During the latter part of the meeting, the audience was invited to ask questions. There were several people who had inquiries. I decided that I would pose a query as well. I started with how much I had enjoyed everything that the new expansion had brought to the community. I then referenced a past exhibit at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science (http://www.dmns.org/main/en/), “Body Worlds II” (http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html), and wondered if there was anything in the art world that was within the same ilk, and on the horizon for the DAM. I was told that there was, but due to the fact that no formal agreement had been reached, it could not be talked about in that evening’s forum.
Once the meeting concluded, Sidney Gates, the woman sitting next to me (and the recipient of that evening’s Cile Bach Award (the highest award that DAM can present to a volunteer)) began talking to me about volunteering at the museum. I responded that I would be very interested, and gave her my contact information. We’ll have to wait and see how that plays out.
Please see the previous post for pictures that I have taken of the interior and exterior of the DAM’s new Frederic C. Hamilton building.
1 comment:
Mike,
You are in your element...so great to see you doing things which better reflect your interests. As much as I miss you, I am happy you seem to be thriving.
I promise to be in touch for dinner. Patrick would love to see you too so we will plan a dinner at the Orr house in the coming weeks.
Lissa
Post a Comment